My Photo
Name:

I am an aspiring writer and dedicated mommy who hopes to leave the world a little better than I found it. Of course, from what I can tell, as long as I don't drop-kick the world into a giant vat of sewage, I will have accomplished that goal.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Why I Hate the News . . .

Admittedly there are multiple reasons why I hate the news, and a complete list would probably last longer than the average attention span . . . so in the interest of retaining my readers, I'll stick with my current gripe. Aside from avoiding the news due to it's high content of stories meant to inspire a person to climb the nearest highest building and throw themselves from the top - The Denver Post does not practice journalism. They practice creative writing. As many Colorado-ites are aware (and the rest of the world doesn't particularly care), Denver's second newspaper, The Rocky Mountain, recently closed it's doors due to a bad economy and a surplus of folks with no talent. While The Rocky used to be the worst offender, The Denver Post has apparently incorporated some of the spirit of it's old compatriot - for which I recommend calling a Priest and performing and exorcism.

As a horrifying sample, I present yesterday's FRONT PAGE news! I realize the font is small, but I promise I am not making this up. I could get a clearer on-line copy, but it doesn't show that the article was on the front page!

First - the title meant to inspire warm fuzzy feelings of safety in today's troubled economy (I'm being sarcastic people . . . work with me!) "Trillion-dollar Trouble" Notice the total lack of actual description of the danger . . . which is followed by the heart-attack inducing text. "In Colorado and across the nation, our roads, bridges and water systems are crumbling, sometimes with devastating results." [As a side note, they left out the third comma. I'm a punctuation snob, and yes - it still matters. There was a 'fella who left $100,000 to be split evenly between Jane, Bob and Joe, and the court ruled $50,000 to Jane and $50,000 to Bob and Joe. THE COMMA MATTERS.]

But, wait! It get's better! Read the first line of the small print article (which I have retyped below, in case it is too small to see.)


"The dishwasher in Jennifer Williford's kitchen never washes a dish. She cleans them in a gray plastic tub, tossing the dishwater outside."

OMFG! IT'S FRONT PAGE NEWS

- courtesy of The Denver Post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home