My Photo
Name:

I am an aspiring writer and dedicated mommy who hopes to leave the world a little better than I found it. Of course, from what I can tell, as long as I don't drop-kick the world into a giant vat of sewage, I will have accomplished that goal.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Radio Blog

When I first began working at my Firm, one of the staff members assured me that I would be absolutely amazed by the Firm's generosity come Christmas-time. They described fantastic presents from the past - including miniature color TVs. Needless to say, I could barely wait. And that first Christmas WAS awesome. We received beautiful short-wave radios (German make and encased in real leather). While I immediately fell in love (and began trying to pick up radio signals from Japan), many of the staff were disappointed and returned the radios to The Sharper Image.

Yes. I did say The Sharper Image. And I saw one of the refund receipts. Those puppies were NOT cheap.

Then came the tragedy of 9/11, and our Firm elected to give up our Christmas gifts and donate the funds to the Red Cross. Everyone in the nation felt the need to do something - anything - to help make the world a better place. And none of us regretted a penny of it.

But the Christmas after . . .

We received a decent quality Dreamcast radio/cd player, a small circular unit which, while nice in its own right, came nowhere close to the coolness level of my beloved shortwave radio. To be brutally honest, I don't listen to music very much, and I was not all that pleased with the Dreamcast. It now lives in my son's room and serves as a decoy to keep A. from breaking my other electronics.

The next Christmas, we received a large square Panasonic radio/cd/mp3 player, which now sits (collecting dust) on the mantle in my livingroom. "Ho hum," I thought. "Sure it plays MP3s - but it's still just another radio."

The next year we received a set of radio headphones. I'm not kidding. The radio was actually part of a giant set of headphones - which you could wear around the house or while exercising. I gave these away as quickly as possible.

Then came the Christmas Party the following year, where we had silly nominations for even sillier prizes. Much to my chagrin, I won the American Idol category - which meant I won a small radio attached to an armband - which was meant to be worn while jogging.

Admittedly, last year the Firm finally departed from their obvious theme and gave us seat covers with a massage function (and no soothing radio function - THANK GOODNESS), but I'm still waiting for them to give us a waterproof radio. After all, the only place left in my house that is radio-free would be my BATHTUB.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home