My Photo
Name:

I am an aspiring writer and dedicated mommy who hopes to leave the world a little better than I found it. Of course, from what I can tell, as long as I don't drop-kick the world into a giant vat of sewage, I will have accomplished that goal.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

People. Need I say More?

I'm fairly certain that PETA won't egg my house because it would be an unethical treatment of embryonic chickens.

On another note . . . one of my co-workers decided to get a Japanese kanji tattooed on her shoulder. Unfortunately, she did not research what the kanji meant. She wanted the kanji for "America" (think about this people - until recently Japan and America have not exactly been friends or had a great exchange of goods via trade - so it is not surprising that there is no real kanji for "America"). The long and short of the problem is: the kanji can either be read as "America" or, more commonly, as "rice." You heard me right. She has "rice" tattooed on her shoulder.

Luckily I caught her before she went in to have yet another kanji tattooed on her shoulder. What most folk who haven't studied Japanese don't get is the fact that tattooing a single kanji on your body is like tatooing the letter "c" from our alphabet. C is used in words like "cat" and "cookie" - which have entirely different meanings. If you take the kanji for "my own/mine" and combine it with the kanji for "heart," you don't get "my own heart." You get the Japanese word for "son."

So before she ended up with something like "will work for rice" or "electrical socket" tattoed on her shoulder, I offered to bring in my kanji dictionary. I suggested that her kanji could be incorporated into the larger kanji for "lost child" - but she didn't seem overly fond of that combination :P

On the flip-side of the "people - can't live with them, can't kill 'em all for no reason" coin . . . it looks like there is a hope that my employer will match the funds we collected to donate to The Wild Animal Sanctuary after all. Keep your fingers crossed . . . we have already collected over $900 dollars - so matching funds would make a huge difference. The proposal will go in at the end of this week.

For those who haven't heard . . . The Wild Animal Sanctuary is one of only 14 sanctuaries in the U.S. able to care for large exotic animals (such as lions, tigers, bears, etc.) - and it is being forced to close due to lack of funding. Natural disasters (Katrina), rising gas prices, and a tapering off of individual donations have all led to the financial crisis. If you have a moment, please take a look at their website - and watch their closing video (it is not overly depressing - I PROMISE.) The closing video is a collage of the animals at the Sanctuary - and demonstrates exactly why the Sanctuary is worth saving.

Between dealing with the kanji/tattoo crisis, writing proposals for funding for the Sanctuary, and revamping the Excel spreadsheet that contains the information for our yearly football pool (most important task of the day . . . :P), I feel like I've been stretched a little thin.

Work? You mean I was supposed to squish my actual work in there somewhere? Hmmmm... maybe that explains the wall of paper that sprang up around my desk . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home