My Photo
Name:

I am an aspiring writer and dedicated mommy who hopes to leave the world a little better than I found it. Of course, from what I can tell, as long as I don't drop-kick the world into a giant vat of sewage, I will have accomplished that goal.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Parental Visit

Why do women always feel obligated to clean their houses when their mother comes to town?


Family theoretically should love us no matter how many dust bunnies are happily breeding under the couch. Yet, here I am at 11:00 at night, scrubbing my bathroom and bemoaning the fact that I actually have to sleep - so no more dusting, vacuuming, or cleaning of the fish tank will happen this evening.


It didn't help that I had to work until 6:30 preparing spiral-bound presentation packets for one of my attorneys - but, since the packets were not assembled until 5:47, a bare 13 minutes before general services deserts their post, I received impromptu training on the binding machine (SCORE!). This may not seem like a major achievement - but, somewhere along the way down the path to becoming a large corporate-type firm, somebody decided that all equipment training should be on a need to know basis - and I didn't need to know.


Except, all support services used to shut down at 5:00 p.m., leaving me, my attorneys, and a slew of equipment I couldn't use (like, oh, say, the POSTAGE machine... GRRRRRR).


All I can say is, Dilbert no longer amuses me. I have seen too much of the corporate world. But, as one of my friends pointed out, this is all the more reason to start writing and break out of the corporate America box.


Besides - what damage could I do with a spiral binder?


"I'm sorry, sir, someone has apparently spiral bound all of our briefs in attractive clear cover packaging. It won't happen again."
"It better not. I've only got the one spare set of clothing at the office."


Sometimes, you've gotta take the easy ones. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home