My Photo
Name:

I am an aspiring writer and dedicated mommy who hopes to leave the world a little better than I found it. Of course, from what I can tell, as long as I don't drop-kick the world into a giant vat of sewage, I will have accomplished that goal.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Arachnophobe

I hate spiders.


Unfortunately, they seem to love me. Ever since I was little, I have been surrounded by spiders. When I was a kid they would crawl across my face while I was sleeping. In highschool and college I was forever pulling them out of my hair and off my clothes. If you have eight people standing in a circle in a room - with a spider in the center- it will run my direction, and generally up my pantleg.


I know - because it's happened at least twice.


Admittedly, I have never been harmed by a spider (unless it was tripping over something as I ran away). In desperation, I finally asked one of my college friends if I just notice spiders more because I am an arachnophobe - or, if I genuinely attract spiders.


"Honey," she said. "I guarantee it isn't your housekeeping - you attract spiders."


Great.


According to Native American mythology, the Spider is a force of creativity and influence. According to some myths, she gave man the letters of the alphabet. According to others, her body is shaped like the infinite number eight - the google - symbolizing infinite wisdom and power. Above all, she represents creative force - and bringing that force into being through weaving her web. In some myths, she is the being that first wove the world.


Let's explore my personality for a moment. Creative writer in search of spirit guide for journeys in Native American mythology.


Crap. I have a phobia of my spirit guide.


Then I came across the Camel Spider. This spider is the epitomy of my worst nightmare (even though most of the things you hear about it on the internet are false). If you ever want an icebreaker at a party - just encourage someone to look up Camel Spider on the internet. Most of the stories regarding this critter come from GI's who have gone overseas to Saudi Arabia - and beaten these critters off with broomsticks. Their stories are far more interesting than a straightforward scientific analysis.


So far, one of my favorite sites is Camel Spiders.net. You have to love a site that claims "These creatures are not dangerous to humans" and then follows immediately with a link titled "Click here to enlarge this Camel Spider bite."


It kind of brings a tear to your eye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home