My Photo
Name:

I am an aspiring writer and dedicated mommy who hopes to leave the world a little better than I found it. Of course, from what I can tell, as long as I don't drop-kick the world into a giant vat of sewage, I will have accomplished that goal.

Friday, January 25, 2008

Kenshin Redeemed (Because Kenshin Redemption is Way Too Cheesy)

I finally understand why the TV series of Rurouni Kenshin was so mind boggling, heart rending, eye-bleeding horrible. M. and I finally rented Samurai X - which is the "adult" version of Rurouni Kenshin - and sort of the prequel/sequel to the series. It was a horrifyingly beautiful piece of work. Then I realized what Rurouni Kenshin the TV series had done to the story . . . It was as if someone suddenly decided the movie Braveheart would make a great addition to Fox kids Saturday morning cartoons. I imagine the discussion would have gone something like this.

Exec-Bob 1: Oh, Oh! Pick me! Pick me!
Exec-Bob 2: Yes, Bob-1?
Exec-Bob 1: First we have to dumb down the politics. We can keep the time period setting - that's pretty cool with the swords and hatchets and stuff, but ditch the politics.
Exec-Bob 2: So noted. Yes, Bob-3?
Exec-Bob 3: And we can't exactly have people fighting . . . well, people.
Exec-Bob2: Good thought. Problem is, the main story is based on a war.
Exec-Bob 1: Ah.
Exec-Bob 3: Ah.
Exec-Bob 1: Oh, oh! We make 0ne side thirty-foot tall monsters. Then we have people fighting monsters . . . with swords!
Exec-Bob 2: Brilliant! But what about the killing?
Exec-Bob 3: Not a problem, Bob-2. We make sure that everyone fights verbally for a good fifteen minutes before the action - then they can knock each other out. No deaths.
Exec-Bob 1: But no politics? Right? Kids hate politics.
Exec-Bob 2: What are they going to talk about? Most of the story is based on the English/Scottish politics.
Exec-Bob 1: Ah. Kilts? They could talk about kilts? And Scottish fighting styles. And why Scots fight in kilts.
Exec-Bob 3: Brilliant! Let's get this to production!!

You should be ashamed of yourself if you aren't cringing . . .

I highly recommend Samurai-X as a fascinating look at the ethics behind war and the damage it can do to the individuals involved. It is not easy to watch, but has a lot of good points.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home