My Photo
Name:

I am an aspiring writer and dedicated mommy who hopes to leave the world a little better than I found it. Of course, from what I can tell, as long as I don't drop-kick the world into a giant vat of sewage, I will have accomplished that goal.

Monday, September 18, 2006

The Devil Wears Prada

I must say, I am very disappointed in this book. It had such promise - and then failed to deliver in the end. Not only is the main love-triangle (which sets up a tension for 3/4 of the book) not resolved . . . there is absolutely no character growth. Not the main character. Not her boss. Not her friends or family or boyfriend. I could at least excuse the lack of growth if the main character had made an impact in her fictional world - but no . . . once again, impact is completely lacking. While I agree with many of the main themes (in particular, the ideas that degradation is insidious, gradual, and ultimately requires that you allow a person power over you), ultimately the themes are left as mixed messages. At the end of the novel, it is not the main character, nor her friends, nor her success in life that decides her worth. It is a doorman at the place where she worked.

I could poke a few holes in the basic story (particularly in the fact that she was "accepted" into a world of models that wear size 2 or less clothing - and yet she eats nothing except fatty hamburgers, regular soda, donuts, etc. - and still manages to remain an attractive size 6), but really, I think it best to keep my review short and sweet.

Such potential. Such disappointment.

Still, I have high hopes for the movie. Particularly if they use a little "creative license" for the ending. It would have been an absolutely brilliant book - had the author paid slightly more attention to the details - and closed her story threads with as much time and care as she took in describing the designer clothes, purses, and other props used in the novel.

Hmmmm . . . I wonder if we'll see "knock-offs" of this book. Maybe "The Source of Temptation wears Walmart-Brand Clothes."

********
Standard news regarding The Wild Animal Sanctuary: For those who have not heard, Colorado has an awesome wildlife refuge that rescues wolves, bears, tigers, lions, and various other exotic animals from private owners who are unable to properly care for them. After 27 years of service, they are being forced to close their doors due to lack of funding. PLEASE BE A PART OF THE FIGHT TO SAVE THESE BEAUTIFUL ANIMALS!!! If only 7,500 people a year donated $1,000 - the Sanctuary could survive. The Sanctuary may not find a millionaire - but they can find a million people, each with a dollar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home