My Photo
Name:

I am an aspiring writer and dedicated mommy who hopes to leave the world a little better than I found it. Of course, from what I can tell, as long as I don't drop-kick the world into a giant vat of sewage, I will have accomplished that goal.

Monday, January 19, 2009

A Hodge Podge O' Thoughts

Being an adult is hard. Being a parent is hard. Why didn't anyone ever tell me kids were expensive? Daycare alone is over $700/month - YIKES! And have you seen what the economy did to gas and groceries? YEEP!

But still, I've always found a way to tie things together and keep them working. Sometimes my finances were held togeher with bubblegum and duct tape . . . and a little more duct tape . . . but in the end - it appears everything is going to work out. Another five years (maximum) and I should be . . . ::drumroll:: DEBT FREE! Yes, I know it is entirely un-American not to be at least $30,000 in debt (and no, you don't get to count your home loan) . . . but I am on the path to cutting up my credit cards and paying for lunch with a $10 bill.

Freedom smells like money. Weird.

On the time management side of things . . . I have lots and lots of projects. Still love the laptop. Have spent more time playing computer games than writing novel on the laptop . . . so all in all, it has been a BRILLIANT investment. But somewhere along the way, the New Year crept in, and finishing my novel is one of my major goals for 2009 . . . so fairly soon I'll dust off my NanoWriMo card that outlines toxic caffeine levels, I'll crack the whip, and away my thought train will go . . . hopefully no one will expect me to use my brain at work until novel completion. Hmmmmmmm . . .

Thanks to S. - I've learned the basic two stitches for knitting (the knit and the purl) . . . heck, I might even be spelling purl wrong . . . I'm still VERY new to this game - which has reminded me exactly why my family does not do craftsy things and we all failed at Home Economics. However - I shall persevere at least until I finish my first project - a fuzzy hat for A. - and who knows? Everyone says yarn is addicting.

Japanese update . . . we are almost finished with our first textbook: Japanese from Zero. I have also figured out how to convert my computer into a mobile language lab so I can study Japanese over lunch with one of the world's greatest language-learning softwares . . . the Rosetta Stone (somewhere in the background, a bunch of breathy female acolytes just repeated Rosetta Stone . . . this happens often). More reasons the computer has been a valuable investment, and I REGRET NOTHING!!!!!

A. is turning 5 in March (WOW - I can't believe it either) and will be heading to school in August. Bad side - picking a school is super-scary. Good side - daycare costs will decrease by at least $300/month. Still, I better schedule in an extra manicure or two to relieve the signs of nail biting. When we moved into the town home, T. and I never expected to have a child (heck, we were only going to live here for two years and then flip the townhouse for enough money to get a down on a respectable house) . . . but now it turns out we are in one the worst school districts around. ACK! Regardless, where there is a will, there is a way, and I have enough will for several lackluster individuals.

My whole life is finally moving and opening up. Not to say there won't be rough patches, but I feel like the glass is half-full . . . and there's an entire pitcher the waitress left on the table next door, just waiting for me. It's a good feeling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home