My Photo
Name:

I am an aspiring writer and dedicated mommy who hopes to leave the world a little better than I found it. Of course, from what I can tell, as long as I don't drop-kick the world into a giant vat of sewage, I will have accomplished that goal.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Labor Day Camping (So I'm a Little Behind on the Ole Blog . . . )

Most people choose to avoid camping on Labor Day weekend . . . especially since half of America tends to congregate into a few shared campgrounds. Fortunately, our friends AG and C. own a parcel of private land, and were kind enough to invite us along for some Labor Day relaxation. (Thank you again AG and C.!!!) Labor Day camping in an exotic location with NO PEOPLE? Count me in!!!!


To give a little background on our chosen activities . . . T. had just returned from taking the Standard at Tom Brown's Tracker School (I know . . . I know . . . ). For those who haven't heard me gushing about the Tracker School - it's a school that focuses on survival skills, including making fire, sanitizing water, creating rope, tanning hide, making animal traps, etc. It teaches awareness of your surroundings and respect for the land. And all of the activities increase self-confidence and encourage the use of your brain - on physical and spiritual levels.

Which explains why we spent a good deal of time carving sticks (throwing sticks, sticks to make fire, sticks to make traps, and just . . . sticks). While the boys did far more carving than I . . . my child managed to snap a photo of me trying my hand at carving a throwing stick out of Aspen. I never knew Aspen was so tough! (Note my stylish combination of cashmere sweater and anime T-shirt. Oh yeah.)


T. also demonstrated some of the basics of tracking . . . and it wasn't long before we found plenty of animal sign . . . including black bear tracks, mountain lion tracks, and a pile of scat that we're fairly certain belonged to the feline.




There were clearer bear tracks behind the outhouse, where the bear had obviously stood up on both hind legs to investigate the small building. Perhaps that answers the age old question: does a bear **** in the woods. I think we've definitely answered it for the Mountain Lion.

I also made sure to photograph some of the local wildflowers so A. and I can work on identifying them later. I'm planning on starting a camping journal - which will be a great way of keeping our memories and learning more about the places we visit!





I'm working on a brighter future for my children and my children's children. All in all, I don't think I'm off to a bad start!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home