My Photo
Name:

I am an aspiring writer and dedicated mommy who hopes to leave the world a little better than I found it. Of course, from what I can tell, as long as I don't drop-kick the world into a giant vat of sewage, I will have accomplished that goal.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

The Pilgrimage to the DNC

Don't get me wrong. I am truly grateful to have been given the opportunity to attend the DNC, and even if I knew that I would have to repeat every step, exactly as it was, in order to attend again . . . I would, in a heartbeat!

Having said that . . . the line . . . the line . . . When we got to the parking lot at Invesco, it looked like this (and keep in mind, we walked from near the Qwest building to Invesco, which is no small hike in and of itself):


After two more hours of standing in the sun with no water, no trash, and no lavatory, it looked like this:


The general good cheer had dampened into a "good-cheer-as-long-as-you-don't-cut-in-front-of-me-or-I'll-take-you-down-and-search-your-body-for-water-because-dang . . . -I'm-thirsty" mood. At this point, my small group noticed one of the attorneys from our office who was just joining the crowd, and we quietly absorbed her into our small group and hoped no one noticed. It helped that she offered to drop by Burger King and do a milkshake and fry run. As more folks trickled in and tried to join the perimeter, we waived them towards the milling mass of humanity.

Us: The end of the line is in the middle of the parking lot.
Newcomers: (After surveying the line and forestalling a heart attack.) Um . . . WHERE is the end of the line?
Us: Beats the heck out of us. Wade on in!

The best part came when we finally crested the hill and discovered . . . ANOTHER PARKING LOT. Fortunately, the Denver Police Department stepped in at some point and began directing folks, so once you broke free from the milling mass of humanity the second parking lot was a winding snake pattern that you literally took at a jog.

Sadly, I have no pictures of this portion . . . since we were jogging. My favorite part was a row of 20 pristine Port-o-Potties that were safely locked behind a gate so you could see them . . . but not get to them. Then the line wound through a few back alleys, came out on Colfax, wound down an overpass, back up an overpass, back towards Invesco, and finally into a THIRD PARKING LOT. The next day, T. said he saw on the news that the line had reached 6 miles. Other folks think he's exaggerating. I don't. I WALKED THE DARN THING!!!!

And inside Invesco was an even larger mass of humanity!




We surprised the guards by letting out great whoops of joy when we cleared security (but hey! We'd been in the sun from 2:00 to 6:30 . . . we were a little punch happy) - and that was NOTHING compared to the celebration when we found our seats. Apparently the ushers/security folks had given up a few hours prior, and "club reserved" seats actually translated to "general admission to any row on your level.

We made it in time to rock out to music by Stevie Wonder, followed by a speech from Al Gore (pictured on the Mile High scoreboard above). Then I accompanied one of our group on a food run . . . which was amusing in and of itself. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Do you have nachos?
Vendor: Nope. We ran out.
Me: Bottled water?
Vendor: Nope. We ran out.
Me: Pizza?
Vendor: Cheese only. No pepperoni.
Me: Great! Give me two. And two drinks - whatever you have left.
Kitchen Helper: (Shouting from the back.) Be careful how many pizzas you sell. We've only got eight left.

But all glitches aside, I was amazed at the quality of all the speakers, and I am honored to have been present at such a historic event. Barack Obama's speech was well crafted and well delivered - amidst the thunder of stamping feet and a sea of waving flags (see my 30 second DNC clip for a taste of what that was like!) I even waved a flag. It was a lote more fun than I anticipated.

So here's a tribute to history - and to politics - and to good friends who made the alternating waiting and mad rushes bearable!!! Here we are . . . hot, tired, and terribly excited. We're a pretty good looking bunch, don't you think?


WOOT!!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home