My Photo
Name:

I am an aspiring writer and dedicated mommy who hopes to leave the world a little better than I found it. Of course, from what I can tell, as long as I don't drop-kick the world into a giant vat of sewage, I will have accomplished that goal.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Fourth of July and Microsoft Word

What can I say . . . except the dry lightning storm is out-performing all the fireworks. Callie-cat (my little tortoiseshell who hates thunder) is non-plussed . . . and even the little man isn't quite sure what to make of all the hullabaloo. He started telling T. and I that he was afraid of "eagles" - which we finally figured out was his word for the fireworks. Poor little dude. Next year we will have to be extra sure to explain the Fourth of July to him - and maybe go to a fireworks show so he understands what all the noise is about.

Over all - good food, good fun, good friends. Good Fourth.

My amusing story for the evening:

T. and I recently purchased a new computer. The IT guy at work told me not to waste my money purchasing Microsoft Office. Our company has an agreement whereby employees can pay $25 for an "at home" license, which allows use of the software until you are no longer an employee. IT told me I could choose between Microsoft Word 2003 and 2007 - which led to the following conversation with T.

T: "Let's get Microsoft 2007. It's newer, so it has to be better, right?"
M: "Umm," I said. "It might be different."
T: "What do you mean?"
M: "I don't know. I've never seen it before. But it might be . . . different."
T: "Let's get 2007."
M: "Okay."

Insert a few days while we wait for the software package to arrive. T. gleefully loaded it onto the computer . . . and came to find me.

T: "Umm . . . I can't find print. Thank goodness Ctrl+P still works."

We spent the next 15 minutes trying to find Print (you have to click on a weird Microsoft Icon thingamabob at the top left-hand corner). The lesson being . . . Microsoft likes to mess with your head. On the bright side, this program will eventually roll out at work - and I don't mind having a head-start on the learning curve!

Happy 4th to all! I am headed to bed. With any luck, the firecrackers will stop by 3:00 a.m.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home