My Photo
Name:

I am an aspiring writer and dedicated mommy who hopes to leave the world a little better than I found it. Of course, from what I can tell, as long as I don't drop-kick the world into a giant vat of sewage, I will have accomplished that goal.

Monday, November 12, 2007

Closing the Gap

Still not on target . . . but gaining a few more feet every day.

----------------------------------

Emma whistled.
“And it would change the entire political structure - giving power to a faction that most people have been taught to view with unalloyed fear. That is a pickle.”


Gwen laughed, reaching out to tweak one of Emma’s red curls. “And Arin is right – you do have a good head on your shoulders. It seems you have a better grasp of the politics than I do.”

“Not really,” Emma blushed bright red. “I have simply read a lot of books,” she stammered. “After all, there was not much else to do on Hinterland’s estate.”

“And I would lay odds that you have absorbed some of the information from the records you have been copying,” Gwen said shrewdly.

“Gwen!” Emma’s eyes were wide with alarm.

“Silly goose,” Gwen said, sighing impatiently. “I won’t tell anyone, though I can’t see what benefit will come from hiding your intelligence and abilities.”

Emma stared at her hands. “I’m just . . . not used to all of the attention,” Emma said, slowly.

Gwen rolled her eyes. “Tell me about it. And you weren’t saddled with two ladies’ maids, a wardrobe, and a job that requires you answer personally to the Queen.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home