My Photo
Name:

I am an aspiring writer and dedicated mommy who hopes to leave the world a little better than I found it. Of course, from what I can tell, as long as I don't drop-kick the world into a giant vat of sewage, I will have accomplished that goal.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

First Draft in 30 Days

Time to get off my behind and get working on the novel I've been telling everyone about for nearly five years . . .


Thanks to another great recommendation from my friend M., I have in my posession a wonderful book by Karen S. Wiesner called First Draft in 30 Days. After skimming the first few chapters, I came to one conclusion:


The book was not written with the mother of a two-year old in mind.


Having said that, since my copious free time is roughly equivalent to one third (if that) of a normal, kidless, individual, I hereby commit to trying to complete the 30 day outline by November (roughly 90 days).


If everything goes as planned (and it never does) - provided A. doesn't spill apple juice on my computer or drive me to distraction by repeating "mommy, mommy, mommy" 492 times . . . completion of my outline would coincide nicely with an event called NanoWriMo - which encourages writers to attempt to write a 50,000 word novel in one month.


For anyone who just noticed that I gave myself *three times* the time limit to write a 30 day draft - and then immediately turned around and claimed the possibility of writing the full novel in a month - umm.... I'm running on two-year logic. No actual logic is involved, but my intentions are great - which, oddly enough, explains most toddler behavior.


We'll just say I'm nourishing my inner child. Wish me luck!

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

lol...good luck!

Having said that, my first book too about 60 days. The second one I've outlined took 14 (cause I only went through day 14, since for me, that's all i need)

Have fun, let me know if you need help.

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home